In this full day Hell’s Highway battlefield tour, we will drive up and down Hells Highway from Veghel to Son. We will cover the objectives of the 101st Airborne Division to secure bridges across streams and canals at Son, Sint Oedenrode, and Veghel and keep the roads in between them open.
The tour will start at the dropzones near Son and will then proceed towards the bridge across the Wilhelmina Canal at Son and we will talk about the capture, rebuilding and then the defense of this vital bridge.
We will then shift our focus to the 502nd Parachute Infantry Brigade as we move towards Best and discuss the plan to capture the bridge there. This started off series of events that led to half the division being engaged. We will visit the monuments for Robert Cole and Joe Mann in the process.
We will then drive across the vast landing fields where hundreds of gliders landed and move to Sint Oedenrode where we will talk about the defense of the town and the battles on the road to Schijndel.
The tour will continue in Veghel where we will discuss the capture of the bridges and then to the location of the Cannae in which a battalion of Germans was captured in a stunning tactical move.
Then we will move to the North of Veghel where the Germans cut the road for the first time after which they tried again at Eerde and finally cut the road again at Koevering, which we will all visit.
Hell’s highway tour itinerary
- Drop and landing zones near Son
- Road bridge at Son
- Joe Mann & Robert Cole memorials at Best
- Sint Oedenrode
- The bridges at Veghel
- The Cannae to the west of Veghel
- The first cut of the corridor north of Veghel
- The windmill and sand dunes at Eerde
- Koevering, where the Germans cut the road
This tour takes around 8 hours, please note that a visit to Eindhoven is not included in this tour but can be added upon request.
This tour is available in English and in Dutch.
We have a flat fee price for our tours:
- Price for a full day private tour, 1 to 4 people is €320.
- Contact us for pricing for a group of more than 4 persons.
- Transportation to and from the locations is included.
- Museum entrance is not included in the price.