The 82nd Airborne Division had to secure crossings at two major rivers and a canal, take the city of Nijmegen and secure the Groesbeek Heights. A tall order for an Airborne Division to undertake!
This tour will take us on a clockwise loop around the objectives and battles of the All Americans, beginning at the bridge at Grave. We’ll then drive to the lock bridge at Heumen (Molenhoek), the only bridge across the Maas-Waal Canal captured intact.
Our next stop will be the landing zones south of Groesbeek and then the desperate battle to recapture the landing zones to the north. We will then pay our respects to the fallen at the Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery, one of 3 cemeteries for Canadian soldiers in the Netherlands.
Then we’ll move to Devils Hill, which dominates the eastern approach of Nijmegen which was contested for days in fierce, often hand to hand, combat.
After a short drive, we will visit the location of the Waal River crossing which we will remember by walking across the bridge to visit the monument on the North bank. Our last stop will the road bridge at Nijmegen, where we will look at the battles fought to capture the biggest bridge of Operation Market Garden.
Nijmegen tour itinerary
- Road bridge across the Maas River at Grave
- Lock bridge across the Maas Waal canal at Heumen
- Drop and landing zones around Groesbeek with replica glider
- Canadian Cemetery at Groesbeek
- Devils Hill
- Waal River crossing location
- Waal Bridge battles at Nijmegen
This tour takes around 8 hours.
This tour is available in English and in Dutch.
- Price for a full day private tour, 1 to 4 people is €320.
- Contact us for pricing for a group of more than 4 persons.
- Transportation to and from the locations is included.
- Museum entrance is not included in the price.